Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Goodnight Munich, it's been swell

After a few days of being savaged in the press, most notably the Daily Mail, one could be excused for thinking that we had come to Munich to showcase our reserve team and maybe send a few post cards. "Disgraceful" "Wenger's lost ambition" are two such announcements. So the stage was set for this side to be torn apart at the hands of arguably Europe's best team. It took 3 minutes for that script to be torn up and as I punched the air and yelled 'Goal!' my dogs joined in, delighted that these self appointed oracles mutterings were nothing more than yesterdays entrails.

There really was only one team in it, if you take out Kroos's first time shots into row Z and Robbens selfish and ineffectual play. Kos put the ball in the onion bag and all of a sudden the immortal words of private Jones "They don't like it up them Captain Mainwaring" popped into my head and spiritually I dived into the back of the German net and tried to wrestle the ball from Neuer with the rest of the lads. The last 10 minutes were painful. We never stopped singing, we never stopped trying. At times it looked like Ari Stotle's little book of bigger dreams was about to receive a wonderful addition. By willing the ball into the net I thought my head would explode ala 'Scanners' but thankfully all I received was a very large headache. Note to self... must try harder.

Note to team... You made me proud and I don't see how any of you could have tried harder.

We won. We lost. After Milan I thought long and hard on that and tonight it still makes no sense the second time around. Still, it's a bitter pill to swallow and one that means that we can now go about our business of being the best team In London. Ten games, 5 points and a feeling. We've won with less, look at tonight.

Work to do, places to go, goals to score. Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment