Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Unchewable Toffee.

It's a funny old game. Some players have lucky boots, shirts etc. and I am no different. In times of difficulty, when the Arsenal are taking a hammering I call the huskies to me and tell them we need wolf power. (You can laugh but it seems to work). Thus when one of them duly threw up at my feet I immediately knew the problem. Unchewable toffee. (Of course I mean Everton, I don't feed them on actual toffee but after today would happily feed them Darron Gibson) Today would not go well, the Gods had spoken.

It was a battle of steel and not wits, one that should have seen us win but for Giroud having left his boots at home and seeming to borrow the ever helpful Adebayour's. After much being made of rushing young Jack back to early it was a surprise to see him involved and then boss this. A Viera performance, full of blood and guts and a needed counter to some of the suspect tackling the Toffees started with. I had expected nothing less from Everton, who were ever fortunate to have eleven still involved especially after the ghost of Chopper Harris past, Darron Gibson had already received a yellow. The two shockers on Theo after without a further booking made me wonder what would have to happen for a card.

There's nothing funny about some of the injuries we've suffered, some so serious we thought we'd see an insurance payment before the player again. The prolonged assault made me wince. It's a man's game but you had to see this as an accident waiting to happen. Tomorrow will tell us more as to what this point cost us, I'm expecting a few issues after this.

Still, all being said this was dropped points and but for fielding a rubber hammer the toffees were there to be cracked. Which leads me to our favorite pin up, Oli. It's a view that given it's his first season that his return thus far is better than excepted. I actually subscribe to this and were he our second striker the next statement would be moot. Unfortunately though, he isn't. It's displays like today that make me wonder WTF. He relationship to the ball is often akin to Manson, he tries to murder it every time he takes a shot. Santi could show him placement and Poldi could show him that lifting his head as he shoots is not a good idea. I don't know what's up there that fascinates him so much but time and again he does it. Clinical is not his watch word. I've held fire to now, as Theo up front still doesn't make me feel like its any kind of answer, but I'm wondering... How about Poldi up front for Fulham? Worth a thought, I mean he can't do worse can he? Can he?

So for perhaps the second time this season I find myself wanting the Arsenal to buy a bigger hammer. A brutal destroyer that can inflict a bit of fear and respect back into our midfield. We just don't have one and I expect this to be addressed end of term. Adding to this a sharper knife at the cutting end. A hammer and Sickle as it were. Step up Lukas Josef Podolski. Perhaps this is the comrade we are looking for. While I expect us to add a new face up front end of term, Poldi seems a good option till then.

With AW saying he is grooming him as a striker, maybe deploying him there now would have two effects. Firstly, he does well and everyone smiles, secondly he does ok, but AW realizes we still need Radamel Falcao García Zárate or (fill names in here). This would allay my fear that this grooming means no purchase of talent up front next season. Either way, it gives Oli a few games on the bench to discover where he left his shooting boots.

Fulham next. I'm waiting to see the team sheet before I don any sack cloth or party frocks. Till then...




No comments:

Post a Comment